Thursday 25 August 2011

History on the go

Last April, strolling along a street in Paris, I found myself reading this plaque:

"En ce bâtiment,
jadis Hôtel d'York,
le 3 septembre 1783,
David HARTLEY,
au nom du Roi d'Angleterre,
Benjamin FRANKLIN,
John JAY, John ADAMS,
au nom des Etats Unis d'Amérique,
ont signé le Traité Définitif de Paix
reconnaissant l'indépendance
des Etats-Unis"


(In this building,
which used to be the Hôtel d'York,
on September 3rd, 1783,
David HARTLEY,
on behalf of the King of England,
Benjamin FRANKLIN,
John JAY & John ADAMS,
on behalf of the United States of America,
signed the Final Peace Treaty
which sanctioned the independence
of the United-States)

I had never heard of this place and didn't remember ever learning that date... One of the things I still love about Paris (together with all my friends there ^.^) is that can still still be surprised by history just around the corner.
Thanks to my lovely iPhone, I was able to take couple of photos and edit one into this shining example of a monument to democracy in the making.


Right now, the edited version is for sale on a sturdy tote bag in both my shops, but I can also provide a quality print of it on a variety of materials (glossy, mat, canvas) and in various sizes up to A4, in this "highlighted" version or in the original version. Either would look great on any wall— a bit of a Paris wall on your own wall...

No comments: