Thursday 25 June 2009

Merry-go-round - Favourite Reference

Jump on our merry go round and join a group of artists/crafts-women from around the world as they link hands and tell you a little bit about their lives in craft.
Do look up the answers from the rest of this band of crafters (links to your left).
If they haven't posted yet, remember we all live in different time zones and check again later...
This month's theme:
What is your favorite publication(s)? Is there a book, books, magazine, or website that has become the bible of your art/craft?

There is actually a book that I keep going back to all the time : Sara Withers's Perles : Toutes les techniques, actually translated from The Encyclopedia of Beading Techniques. You can find it in French on amazon.fr, or in English on amazon.co.uk.
It really acts as my bible as it deals with all the basics in beading and even gets you started in wire-wrapping and bead-weaving.
Since acquiring it and exploring several techniques very easily and confidently thanks to it, I have also discovered beautiful books on off-loom weaving by Carol Wilcox Wells.
I have also been lucky enough to read the great French tutorials on wire-wrapping that our fellow merry-go-rounder Fabs, of Easterya, has been offering on DaWanda.
Books are really my first, most spontaneous ressource, but as French translations and shops are always slow to catch up, the internet is a close second, so I keep hoarding books and web bookmarks, whenever I want to explore a new technique.
I also find that an introductory kit is very often good value for money, as they are a way to take a first step fairly safely. Such a starters' kit allowed me to make my first silver clay piece (mentioned here a couple months ago) and therefore helped me build up confidence. The visuel help is very important to me, so a step-by-step, on paper or on DVD, is always welcome.

7 comments:

Easterya said...

Bless your heart darling sweetheart!!! There'a few you haven't read, so they're on their way to you right now!! A bible to each other indeed!! :) How fun is that!!!

Lily Pang said...

I'll pick up these book and check Easterya's tutorial when I need some technique in jewelry making. Good references!

Wendren said...

I also have a long list of bookmarked websites. It is a great way to spend an uninspired afternoon because you are always guaranteed to find something to inspire you.

florcita said...

Fabs tutorials are awesome!
Ive never used a starting kit but you do have a point there!

'fancypicnic' said...

Guess where I'm off to?! I must read Fabs' tutorials right now...

I love the internet for the wealth of inspiration that it offers, but nothing beats a good book - it only needs to take one book, but that special book is enough to take us on our way, forward and inspired.

Beading fascinates me, but I feel a bit apprehensive - it looks so involved! You've inspired me to take a closer look. Thank you! xx

Ruth said...

How great that we have all this "cross-pollination" between Merry go rounders! What a wonderful group! And I had forgotten about how much I use my bookmarks! I recently taught two people about bookmarks as they had never used them! How had they coped?? :-D

Sara Millis said...

I think I may have a copy of that book somewhere... I used it all the time when a while back... obsessed with beading!
Sara x